The first written mention of Sklené Teplice dates back to 1340. In the 14th century, mainly wood for mines was mined here in Banská Štiavnica. Around 1350, the first glass factory was established here in what was then Hungary, the legacy of which the town still bears in its name. Unfortunately, historical sources from this period are incomplete. The glass factory is believed to have ceased to exist in the 17th century.
The first mention of the spa comes from 1550. Even then, the inhabitants knew the beneficial effects of the mineral water of Sklené Teplice on health. Sklené Teplice was gradually owned by various feudal owners. At the end of the 17th century, the Lippay family died out and the entire spa property fell to the state. The spa came under the administration of the Mining Authority in Banská Štiavnica, which to a large extent contributed to the construction of spa buildings and the subsequent therapeutic use of mineral springs.
After the demise of the glass factory, a smelter was established in Sklené Teplice, in which gold and silver were separated from unused ores by means of lead. When Emperor František Lotrinský, the husband of Mária Terézia, visited Banská Štiavnica in 1751, he also visited the smelter in Sklené Teplice.
The most famous events in Sklené Teplice took place in 1786. The most important Enlightenment scientist Ignác Anton von Born opened an amalgamation plant in this town and subsequently organized the first international congress of naturalists in the world. At the congress he presented his method called Born's indirect amalgation - a chemical process in which mercury binds particles of precious metals. The famous poet J. W. Goethe also took part in this important meeting, after whom the most beautiful spa house is named.
The spa was bought in 1866 by the master mason Jozef Gasparetz from Uľanka. The Gasparetz family owned the spa until the issuance of the Beneš Decrees, when the spa was expropriated and forfeited in favor of the state.
At present, there are 7 springs in Sklené Teplice with a temperature from 37 °C to 52.3 °C. Artificial deep boreholes and wells up to a depth of 1600 m are also used. These are the most important springs of the volcanic zone. The spa is used for patients with diseases of the musculoskeletal and nervous system, but also for commercial - hotel guests who are looking for opportunities for relaxation and regeneration of body and mind.